icon bookmark-bicon bookmarkicon cameraicon checkicon chevron downicon chevron lefticon chevron righticon chevron upicon closeicon v-compressicon downloadicon editicon v-expandicon fbicon fileicon filtericon flag ruicon full chevron downicon full chevron lefticon full chevron righticon full chevron upicon gpicon insicon mailicon moveicon-musicicon mutedicon nomutedicon okicon v-pauseicon v-playicon searchicon shareicon sign inicon sign upicon stepbackicon stepforicon swipe downicon tagicon tagsicon tgicon trashicon twicon vkicon yticon wticon fm
20 Jun, 2014 12:51

Kiev’s army shelling kills 5yo boy & his mom in Slavyansk

A five-year-old boy died in eastern Ukraine of multiple head wounds Friday from a Ukrainian mortar shell, despite a 5-hour-long operation by doctors to save his life, Russian media report. His mother died on the spot in the same mortar shelling.

DRAMATIC: Ukraine army and self-defense militia exchange bodies (VIDEO)

When Arseny Danchenko was admitted into the hospital Thursday, doctors found at least 30 head wounds caused by mortar shell fragments from one to five millimeters in diameter. Many of the wounds were declared inoperable, yet surgeons attempted to do whatever they could.

“Arseny died at 2am last night. Medics tried to save his life for over five hours,” Russian daily newspaper Komsomolskaya Pravda reported from the hospital.

On Thursday evening, Ukraine’s National Guards artillery, stationed on the Karachun mountain, rained a barrage of mortar shells on the Golubovka suburb of Slavyansk.

Arseny’s mother, Nadezhda Danchenko, 29, ran out into the courtyard to grab her son and hide in the cellar. But as soon as she picked her son up in her arms, a shell exploded right next to her, killing her immediately.

“My daughter screamed that the shooting began,” Nadezhda’s mother told Russia’s LifeNews TV. “I told her to get to the cellar. We heard explosions, and she rushed out. At that very moment, the shell came. And now she’s gone.”

Still from Rossiya 24 channel's video shows hospital in Slavyansk on June 20, 2014

The chief doctor at the hospital in Slavyansk, Arkady Glushchenko, told the channel straightaway that the chances to save Arseny’s life were slim, with “so many fragments stuck in his brain.”

Apart from the Danchenkos, seven other people were wounded in the same artillery barrage, including a man and a woman with fatal wounds, who died later in the hospital, which was packed to overflowing.

Glushchenko said that all the people hospitalized with mortar injuries were civilians.

“I do not comprehend what is going on,” he said.

“When are these killings going to stop?” a relative of Danchenko’s said. “When will they leave us alone? When will they let us live the way we used to? Why are they killing us?”

Witnesses told LifeNews that the Ukrainian army was using heavy artillery and that shells are exploding in and next to the settlement every day. Residents of Golubovka said that shells are incoming simultaneously, three to four at a time.

A house damaged by fighting between Ukrainian and and anti-government forces is seen in the eastern Ukranian city of Slaviansk June 16, 2014. (Reuters/Shamil Zhumatov)

“Every night we go to sleep listening whether they are starting to shoot or not,” a local woman said. “They’re shooting all the time from two locations, Karachun and Rybkhoz. I don’t know how to live here anymore.” She added that on Thursday the Ukrainian artillery was shelling some other targets, then all of a sudden, without any ranging-in shots, the shells began to land in the yards of apartment blocks.

Local residents walk near a house destroyed during a night combat between Ukrainian and anti-government forces in the village of Semenovka, near the eastern Ukrainian city of Slavyansk, on May 23, 2014. (AFP Photo)

Ruslan Khakimov, Nadezhda Danchenko’s husband, said that Ukrainian authorities should come see the material evidence of the shelling and “draw their own conclusions.”

“We’re not going to leave Slavyansk so easily now,” he said.

The humanitarian crisis in the eastern Ukrainian city of Slavyansk is worsening by day by day, with disruption of water supplies and electricity amid continuing fighting.

A destroyed house following what locals say was overnight shelling by Ukrainian forces is seen in the eastern Ukrainian town of Slaviansk June 10, 2014. (Reuters/Gleb Garanich)

On Tuesday, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko declared that he was ready to order a temporary unilateral ceasefire, but since then the Ukrainian army has not shown any sign of ending its military campaign.

A woman stands in a cafe burnt during a night combat between Ukrainian and anti-government forces in the village of Semenovka, near the eastern Ukrainian city of Slavyansk, on May 22, 2014. (AFP Photo)