Blast targets football fans in Nigeria, at least 14 killed
At least 14 have been killed and 12 others injured in an explosion at a television viewing center for football in Mubi, northeast Nigeria, according to police and military.
"So far we have 14 dead while 12 are injured, some of them critically," police spokesman for Adamawa state, Usman Abubakar, told Reuters.
A witness told the news agency that the blast happened in the evening. The sources said the victims had been watching a televised match.
"I heard a loud blast. The place is near the market, which I had just left. I ran," resident John Audu told Reuters.
AFP reported earlier that more than 40 people were killed in the blast, citing a police officer.
No group has claimed responsibility, though Boko Haram has staged attacks in the area in the past. The same group abducted over 200 schoolgirls in Nigeria on April 14 and is still holding them captive.
A suicide bomber failed to hit an open-air football viewing in the central city of Jos last weekend, as his car blew up before his target was reached. However, three people still died in the blast.
The week before, a suicide bombing killed 118 people in the central city of Jos, while another two bombs on the outskirts of Abuja killed 95 in April.