European leaders should keep their “mouth shut” on nuclear deterrence, Belgian Defense Minister Theo Franken said on Wednesday, calling out their public statements on the issue as particularly ill-timed and inappropriate.
Talk of Europe developing its own nuclear deterrent has intensified since Washington announced it would scale back security commitments to its European allies, focusing instead on homeland defense and containing China.
Commenting on X about a recent podcast interview with German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, Franken said: “Regarding nuclear deterrence, I really don’t understand why European leaders are so loose-lipped. Not wise. Please keep your mouth shut.”
Merz ruled out developing a domestic nuclear deterrent but said German fighter jets could potentially carry French and British atomic weapons. Both Germany and Belgium are signatories to the US nuclear sharing agreement, a Cold War-era arrangement that allows their air forces to deliver American nuclear bombs stationed in Europe in the event of a conflict.
NATO’s European members have cited what they claim to be the specter of Russian aggression to justify their renewed military buildup. Moscow has dismissed such claims as “nonsense” and baseless fearmongering.
The question of obtaining nuclear weapons is being discussed more in the German media and is gaining “advocates among politicians, MPs, the military officials and experts,” the Russian ambassador in Berlin, Sergey Nechaev, told RIA Novosti last week, calling the trend highly concerning.
Kay Gottschalk, a lawmaker from the far-right party Alternative for Germany (AfD), said last month that Germany “needs nuclear weapons” since European nations can no longer rely on American protection.
The debate gained further traction last week when Polish President Karol Nawrocki said Warsaw needs to develop its own nuclear weapons program, adding that he is a “strong supporter of joining a nuclear project.” He does not know whether the government would actually do it, he added.
The last major nuclear arms control treaty between the US and Russia expired earlier this month, raising fears of an uncontrolled buildup of warheads among the world’s leading powers. Signed in 2010, the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START) capped deployed strategic warheads and launchers, established monitoring for both arsenals, and was extended once after its original 2021 expiration.