Russia’s most-wanted terrorist behind Ingushetia blast

Doku Umarov.(AFP Photo / Site Intelligence Group)
The leader of Ingushetia says the Sunday suicide bombing in the North Caucasian republic, which killed eight people and wounded 15, was organized by Russia’s top terrorist fugitive Doku Umarov.

“We know that Doku Umarov masterminded the terrorist act at a policeman's funeral in the Malgobek district. It was perpetrated by local militants," Yunus-Bek Yevkurov said.

The head of the republic is confident that the crime will soon be solved and none of the accomplices will manage to escape punishment, he told Interfax.

The investigators have already established the terrorist attack organizers and identified the suicide bomber – 34-year-old Ingush citizen Khamzat Aldiyev, who, along with his brother, was on a police wanted list as a member of a militant group. There are several other suspects who will soon be detained.

On August 19, the suicide bomber penetrated into a group of policemen attending a funeral service of their colleague who been killed a day earlier in a shooting attack. Aldiyev detonated a bomb equivalent to about 10 kilos of TNT, killing seven and injuring 12 policemen. Three civilians were also wounded in the attack.

Terrorist leader Doku Umarov, 48, is responsible for numerous attacks against civilians on Russian soil. He took responsibility for the Moscow Metro bombings in 2010, Domodedovo Airport attack in 2011 and the deadly derailment of the Nevsky Express train in 2007, to name just a few.

Two years ago, the US designated Russia's most wanted man, Umarov, as a terrorist. In 2011, the United Nations Security Council included the militant – who styles himself as "the Emir of the Caucasus"- on its terrorist list.