7 women, 7 children killed in Afghan cemetery bombing – officials
The attack in a rural district occurred as a group, comprised mostly of women, was visiting the grave of a relative who died while working for security forces, according to Al Jazeera. An improvised explosive device was planted near the grave.
The victims were mainly from one family, said the provincial
governor's spokesman, Ahmad Zia Abdulzai. Three women and one
child were wounded, he added.
Earlier, the AFP reported 10 deaths:
"An explosion happened in a graveyard," the agency quotes
Hazrat Hussain Mashriqiwal, police spokesman for Nangarhar
province, as saying. "Ten women were killed in the blast, two
other women and a child were also wounded."
Spokesman of the Ningrahar governor told BBCPashto :7 women & 7 children lost their lives in that explosion 3 women & a child was injured— Emal Pasarly (@EmalPasarly) August 8, 2013
President Hamid Karzai condemned the bombing. No organization has
claimed responsibility for the attack.
Nangarhar and its capital, Jalalabad, have been hit by a wave of bombings and suicide attacks over the last week.
The explosion comes amidst Eid al-Fitr celebrations as Muslims
mark the end of Ramadan, a month-long period of fasting from
sunrise to sunset. It is tradition among Afghans to pay
their respects at the graves of family and loved ones on the
first day of Eid.
Less than a week ago a suicide bomb attack struck near the Indian consulate in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad, killing 9 people, most of them children. The consulate said that no Indian officials were caught in the blast.
The recent violence in Afghanistan comes just days after Washington issued a worldwide travel alert warning US citizens about the "continued potential for terrorist attacks" in the Middle East and North Africa.
France, Germany, Holland and the UK followed suite suspending their embassies’ activities in Yemen.